|Adm. div.||Middlesex, now Greater London|
|Began||27 June 1907|
|Ended||27 June 1907|
|Events||Carnival; Robin Hood; Maid Marion; Friar Tuck; Bishop of Hereford; Sheriff of Nottingham; Sir Richard Lee; Lady Richard Lee; Much the Miller's Son; Will Stutly; Gilbert of the White Hand; Allan-a-dale; Bob Scarlett; Little John; Foresters.|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
[27 June 1907:]
Robin Hood and His MenEmblematic Car by "West Finchley Cork Club."Finchley Hospital Carnival, June 27, 1907.
Robin Hood W. Webster. Maid Marion W. Hickmott. Friar Tuck G. Hales (Senr.). Bishop of Hereford W. Reid. Sheriff of Nottingham R. Wheeler. Sir Richard Lee W. Harvey. Lady Richard Lee H. Wells. Much (the Miller's Son) H. Perry. Will Stutly J. Harvey. Gilbert of the White Hand W. Perry. Allan-a-dale P. Perry. Bob Scarlett G. Hales (Junr.). Little John C. Lambert. Foresters F. Wells, H. Sayer, G. Ainge, F. Ainge, H. Dennis, D. Ashby, T. Reynolds, A. Ridley, J. Ashby, W. Twinn, J. Green, S. Sharpe, C. Rew.
Verso of postcard without publisher, place or date, presumably published 1907. Punctuation silently regularized, ellipses used for horizontal spacing in original silently omitted. See gallery below.
The event commemorated in the postcard from the verso of which the above list of "dramatis personae" is taken was a carnival that must have been arranged to raise funds for Finchley Cottage Hospital, which was established 1908 and renamed Finchley Memorial Hospital 1922.
Lists and gazetteers
- Outside scope of Lancashire, Ian, compil. Dramatic Texts and Records of Britain: a Chronological Topography to 1558 (Cambridge, 1984)
- Outside scope of Singman, Jeffrey L. Robin Hood: The Shaping of the Legend (Contributions to the Study of World Literature, No. 92) (Westport, Connecticut; London, 1998), pp. 171-92
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88
- Outside scope of Wiles, David. The Early Plays of Robin Hood (Cambridge, 1981), pp. 64-66.
- Anonymous. Robin Hood and His Men. Emblematic Car by "West Finchley Cork Club." Finchley Hospital Carnival, June 27, 1907 ([s.l.], 1907). Photographic postcard (b./w.). 141 x 89 mm.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
The original Finchley Cottage or Memorial Hospital / Martin Addison, 9 Feb. 2006, Creative Commons, via Wikipedia and Geograph.
The new hospital, built 2012 / Dudley Miles, c. 13 Apr. 2016, Creative Commons via Wikipedia.