Robin Hood (Bushey)
|Vicinity||56 High Street Bushey|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-09-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-09-02.
A public house named the Robin Hood was situated on 56 High Street, Bushey, Watford, Hertfordshire. It was in existence by 1891.
Census data on publicans and residents for the years 1891, 1901 and 1911 can be found at the Pub Wiki. The still existing Red Lion, with the address 50 High Street, is located at the western corner of High Street and Rudolph Road. The present 56 High Street, a small hairdresser's at the eastern corner, occupies one half of a building which looks as if it may well have been in existence c. 1900. However, this does not seem likely to have been a public house. Perhaps the street was renumbered and 56 High Street was one of the houses slightly to the east of that now partly occupied by the hairdresser's?
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
The pub is not included on the maps.
- 25" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.7 (c. 1873; surveyed 1870-71). No Copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.7 (1898; rev. 1896) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.7 (1898; rev. 1896)
- 25" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.7 (1914; rev. 1912)
- 25" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.7 (1936; rev. 1934)
- 6" O,S, map Middlesex V (1868; surveyed 1864-65). Not online
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex V.NE (1899; rev. 1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex V.NE (1899; rev. 1895)
- 6" O,S, map Hertfordshire XLIV (1920; surveyed 1912-13). Not online
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet A (1920; rev. 1869–72)
- 6" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.NE (c. 1939; rev. 1934–35)
- 6" O.S. map Hertfordshire XLIV.NE (c. 1946; rev. 1938).