1892 - Grindon, Leo H - Lancashire (1)
|Author||Grindon, Leo H|
|Title||Lancashire: Brief Historical and Descriptive Notes|
|Mentions||Robin Hood's Bed (Blackstone Edge)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-26. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-05.
The waters at Lymm and Taxal belong respectively to Cheshire and Derbyshire. Independently of those at Rivington, Lancashire excels both of them in the romantic lake below Blackstone Edge, well known to every pleasure-seeker as "Hollingworth." The measurement round the margin is quite two miles; hills almost completely encircle it, and, as seen from the edge, near Robin Hood's crags, so utterly is it detached from all that pertains to towns and cities as to recall the remotest wilds beyond the Tweed. Hollingworth Lake was constructed about ninety years ago with a view to steady maintenance of the Rochdale Canal. Among the hills upon the opposite or north-western side of the valley, Brown Wardle, often named in story, is conspicuous; and adorning the lofty general outline
may be seen — best, perhaps, from near "Middleton Junction" — another mamelon — this one [p. 214:] believed in local story to be a haunt of the maidens of the Midsummer Night's Dream.
Looking westward from the Robin Hood pinnacles, the prospect includes the valleys of the Roch and the Spodden — the last-named stream in parts wild and wilful.
IRHB's brackets. Italics as in printed source. The author's full name is Leopold Hartley Grindon.
The name 'Robin Hood's Bed' must originally have been applied to a specific feature at Blackstone Edge but is often also found used of the entire ridge. In view of the context, Robin Hood's "crags" and "pinnacles" must be synonyms of 'Robin hood's Bed' as used in this wider sense.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Robin Hood's Bed (Blackstone Edge)
- 1892 - Grindon, Leo H - Lancashire (2)
- 1892 - Grindon, Leo H - Lancashire (3)
- 1892 - Grindon, Leo H - Lancashire (4).