1891 - Gray, Johnnie - Through Airedale from Goole to Malham (5)
|Title||Through Airedale from Goole to Malham|
|Mentions||Robin Hood's Seat [Robin Hood's Stone in Silsden?]|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-12-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-17.
Kildwick to Elslack, 6 m[iles]. For sweet air and good views this is a capital outing over Glusburn Moor (800 ft.) Leaving the station on the south side by a short field path on r[ight]. ascend the moor, having Mr. Petty's turreted mansion hanging above Airedale on r[ight]. with Robin Hood's Seat and Flasby Fell away in the distance. Descend past Upper Leys farm to the four-lane ends, where just above the plantation is a large artificial earthwork in the form of a circular camp. It is probably Danish. Keep straight up Baby Ho[use]. lane over Carlton moor by a narrow band of mountain limestone, which ascends to Park Head quarry, where glacial drift is seen resting upon the limestone at an altitude of 1050 ft. The road passes the quarry to a second four-lane ends. Here there is an old dated (1730) milestone: to Skipton 4 m[iles]., to Colne 8 m[iles]., &c., and the prospect from the (Elslack) moorland eminence just above is one of immense variety and extent, including Pendle, Boulsworth. Embsay Crag, Rylstone Fell, due N. the cones of Flasby, and beyond them the flat top of Ingleboro.
Italic and bold type as in printed source. IRHB's brackets.
'Johnnie Gray' is a pseudonym of Harry Speight. Unless I have lost my bearings, I believe this refers to Robin Hood's Stone in Silsden
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Gray, Johnnie. Through Airedale from Goole to Malham (Leeds; Bradford; Skipton; Goole, 1891), p. 215.
- Robin Hood's Stone (Silsden)
- 1891 - Gray, Johnnie - Through Airedale from Goole to Malham (1)
- 1891 - Gray, Johnnie - Through Airedale from Goole to Malham (2)
- 1891 - Gray, Johnnie - Through Airedale from Goole to Malham (3)
- 1891 - Gray, Johnnie - Through Airedale from Goole to Malham (4).