1811 - Nelson, John - History of Islington

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Revision as of 04:26, 17 January 2021 by Henryfunk (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Date 1811
Author Nelson, John
Title The History, Topography, and Antiquities of the Parish of St. Mary Islington, in the County of Middlesex
Mentions Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton)
Loading map...
Site of the Robin Hood and Little John, Hoxton.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-17.


An old house yet remains fronting the fields at Hoxton, which was formerly much resorted to by the Finsbury archers. It bears for its sign the Robin Hood, which has, to the present day, written underneath, the following inscription;

"Ye archers bold, and yeomen good,
Stop, and drink with Robin Hood;
If Robin Hood is not at home,
Stop, and drink with Little John."[1]

Source notes

Italics as in source. IRHB has modernized the style of the quotation of the inn sign, each line of with begins with a double quotation mark in Nelson, who also prints these for lines in the same font size as the introductory text.

IRHB comments

The Robin Hood and Little John (Hoxton), a well-known pub in the area, closed in 1954.





Also see