Robin Hood and Little John (Arnold)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate 53.00665, -1.127358
Adm. div. Nottinghamshire
Vicinity Intersection of Church and Cross streets in Arnold
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1796
A.k.a. Robin Hood (and) Little John; Robin Hood Inn
Loading map...
Robin Hood and Little John, Arnold
The Robin Hood (and) Little John / Photo courtesy Ross Parish.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2022-05-05. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of books and a blog on English holy wells.

The Robin Hood and Little John has traded under that name – now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" – ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,[1]

In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches (531.15 m2).[2] As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all. Information on publicans for the years 1925-41 can be found at Pub History.[3]


MS Sources

Printed and online sources



Also see