Robin Hood (Helsby)
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-01-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-06-02.
The first record I have found of the Robin Hood, until recently located on the corner of Chester Road and Lower Robin Hood Lane in Helsby, is a 6" O.S. map of the area published in 1881, based on surveying done 1873-74. It is found on all the later maps listed below (see Maps section). The pub was closed by 4 May 2009, and the building has subsequently been demolished. It was located on the corner of Chester Road and Lower Robin Hood Lane
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311
- Not included in Dodgson, John McN.; Rumble, Alexander R. The Place-Names of Cheshire, pts. I-V (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIV-XLVIII, LIV, LXXIV) (Cambridge, 1970-72; [s.l.], 1981; Nottingham, 1997).
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (c. 1874; surveyed c. 1872). No Copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (1898; rev. 1897) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (1898; rev. 1897)
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (1935; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII (1881; surveyed 1873-74)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (1899; rev. 1897) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (1911; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (c. 1936; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (c. 1944; rev. 1938).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
The Robin Hood in Helsby closed before 4 May 2009, when this photo was taken / Gasrtonian, via Flickr.