Jump to: navigation, search

Lower Robin Hood Field (Helsby)

Revision as of 13:58, 4 June 2019 by Henryfunk (talk | contribs)
Locality
Coordinate 53.270635, -2.771821
Adm. div. Cheshire
Vicinity Western corner of Chester Road and Lower Robin Hood Lane, Helsby
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1844
Loading map...
The (former?) Lower Robin Hood Field.
Peeping into the (former?) Lower Robin Hood Field from Lower Robin Hood Lane / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-06-04. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-06-04.

Lower Robin Hood Field in Helsby is first recorded in 1844. It was named after the Robin Hood pub which was until recently located on the north-eastern corner of Chester Road and Lower Robin Hood Lane. Lower Robin Hood Field lay along the latter lane, opposite Robin Hood Field.

Lower Robin Hood Field is listed in the 1844 tithe award for Helsby with a William Forshaw as owner, John Lewis as occupier, state of cultivation as 'Pasture', and an area of 10 acres, 1 rood and 9 perches (41707.91 m2).[1] It occupied the area from Chester Road in the east and more or less to the end of Lower Robin Hood Lane in the west, stretching about as far south as the two southern side streets of the lane.

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1844 Tithe award for Helsby, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 05, sub-piece 199, image 013, item 138 (subscription required)
  • Accompanying map, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 05, sub-piece 199, sub-image 001, item 138 (subscription required).

Maps

Also see

Notes

  1. Online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 05, sub-piece 199, image 013, item 138 (subscription required).