Eastwood Rocks (Ashover)
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-29.
For this tradition see the allusion cited below, which should possibly be dated 1794 rather than 1804. The status "Defunct?" indicated in the info box above refers to the local tradition rather than the rocks or their name.
Every now and then a climber feels the urge to test his skills on these gritstone rocks (see Background below), but they stand on private land and the farmer who owns it is apparently not too happy with the frequent trespassers.Template:PnItemQry
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- C., A. 'The Old English Ballads.—Robin Hood.—No. VI', The Penny Magazine of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1838), pp. 313-16, see p. 313 n.
- Gutch, John Mathew, ed. A Lytell Geste of Robin Hode, with Other Ancient & Modern Ballads and Songs relating to this Celebrated Yeoman (London, 1847), vol. II, p. iv.
- [Unknown], illus. Coloured sketches of Robin Hood's Stride. 1794, 1904. British Library. Add. MS. 6318. ff. 21b, 25, ff. 21b, 25; not seen, but cf. Cunningham and Gutch above.
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.9 (c. 1880; surveyed c. 1875). (No Copy in NLS)
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.9 (c. 1898; rev. c. 1897). (No Copy in NLS)
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.9 (1917; rev. 1914)
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.9 (1917; rev. 1914) (georeferenced)]
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.SW (1884; surveyed 1879)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.SW (1900; rev. 1897) (georeferenced).
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.SW (1900; rev. 1897)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX (1921; rev. 1913-14)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.SW (1921; rev. 1913-14)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XXX.SW (c. 1936; rev. 1913-14)
- BMC: Eastwood Rocks
- Peak District Bouldering: Eastwood - Gritstone
- UKC Forums: Eastwood Rocks, peak district
- UKC Logbook: Eastwood Rocks
- Wikipedia: Ashover.
- As discussed on the page on the allusion.