Robin Hood Pit (Oxton)
|Vicinity||1.9 km NNE of central Oxton|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|First Record||c. 1825|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-10-10. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-23.
Robin Hood Pit is listed under Oxton in the English Place-Name Society's volume on Nottinghamshire, the source being a c. 1825 O.S. map. Whatever its nature it seems to have been located close to Robin Hood Hill. It is even possible, though not likely, that they were identical. For further discussion of this place-name, see Robin Hood Hill (Oxton). To appear on the Google maps a marker must be given specific coordinates. Those used for Robin Hood Pit point to a spot close to Robin Hood Hill, but I do not know the actual location of the former. I hope to get access to the c. 1825 O.S. map later, so that the actual location can be established.
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), p. 302, s.n. 'Robin Hood Hill'.
- Grograph: SK6353: Robin Hood Hill.
- Gover, J.E.B.; Mawer, Allen; Stenton, F.M. The Place-Names of Nottinghamshire (English Place-Name Society, vol. XVII) (Cambridge, 1940), p. 173.
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXIII.NE (1884; surveyed 1873-84) (Robin Hood Pit not indicated)
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXIII.NE (1900; rev. 1898-99) (Robin Hood Pit not indicated)
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXIII.NE (1920; rev. 1913) (Robin Hood Pit not indicated).