Robin Hood (Upper Halling)
|Vicinity||The Street, Upper Halling|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood Inn|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-11-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.
The Robin Hood on what is now named The Street, in Upper Halling, Kent, was in existence as ealy as 1840 and at least as late as c. 1960. However, the name 'Robin Hood' is only recorded from 1881 on.
As noted at the Pub Wiki, the pub is listed under Halling in the 1881 and 1901 censuses. It is entered in the 1881 census as "'Robin Hood' Beer house" at 'Mills cottages[,] Crab's Corner' and in that of 1901 as "'Robin Hood' Inn". It is not clear from these census records that Crab's Corner and Mill's Cottages were situated in Upper Halling, but this was certainly the case. Thus for instance the 36 year old Walter Crowhurst, general labourer, who figures at 1 Mills Cottages in the 1881 census, is listed in that of 1851 as a six year old 'scholar' with 'Upper Halling' cited in lieu of a street address. We also note that several persons in Upper halling are listed in 1851 with the same surname as the publican in 1901: Parris.
The 1840 tithe schedule for Halling lists the easternmost of the plots on the north side of what is now The Street, in Upper Halling, as a 'Beer Shop[,] Shed and Garden', the land owned by Maximillian Dudley Digges Dalison, Esq., and occupied by a William Holding. In 1877, the owner was the same but the occupier an Edward Norman, while in 1884 it was owned by Hilton, Anderson & Company and occupied by Lingham and Davis. Its area was 1 rood and 15 perches (1391.11 m2). This must be the Robin Hood. The immediate vicinity, where several streets meet, would then have been known as Crabb's Corner.
An indication that the pub was still in existence c. 1960 was given by the seller from whom IRHB bought the black and white postcard shown in the image gallery below. The card itself includes no printed text of any kind, but it was sold as a postcard depicting the 'Robin Hood pub, Upper Halling, Rochester 1960'. The year in the postmark is hardly legible, but the stamp and the general look of the card would seem to support the dating.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Kent XVIII.16 (c. 1869; surveyed 1861-62), No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Kent XVIII.16 (c. 1896; rev. c. 1895). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Kent XVIII.16 (1908; rev. 1907) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Kent XVIII.16 (1908; rev. 1907)
- 25" O.S. map Kent XVIII.16 (1938; rev. 1936–37)
- 6" O.S. map Kent XVIII (1869; surveyed 1864–67)
- 6" O.S. map Kent XVIII.SE (1898; rev. 1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Kent XVIII.SE (1898; rev. 1895)
- 6" O.S. map Kent XVIII.SE (1909; rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Kent XVIII.SE (c. 1940; rev. 1936).
- 1851 census of Kent, Piece 01609b, Image 00451, #21, at The Genealogist (£)
- Tithe award for Halling, Piece 17, Sub-Piece 160, Image 001 to 054, at The Genealogist (£)
- Wikipedia: Halling, Kent
- Pub Wiki: Robin Hood, 4 Mills Cottages Crabs Corner, Halling, Strood.
- 1881 census of Kent, Piece 00880, Image 00229, #212, at The Genealogist (£).
- 1881 census of Kent, Piece 00880, Image 00228, #209, at The Genealogist (£).
- 1901 census of Kent 1901, Piece 00719, Image 00060, #26, at The Genealogist (£).
- 1881 census of Kent, Sub-Piece 00880, Image 00229, #210, at The Genealogist (£).
- 1851 census of Kent, Piece 01609b, Image 00451, #21, at The Genealogist (£). Also search there for surname 'Parris'.
- Tithe award for Halling, Piece 17, Sub-Piece 160, Images 011, 032 and 038, item #132, at The Genealogist (£).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.