Robin Hood (Dalston)
|Coordinate||Near 51.5426, -0.075|
|Adm. div.||Middlesex, now Greater London|
|Vicinity||North Blomfield street (lost); on E side of Railway tracks, near Richmond Road railway bridge|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-20.
According to two major web sites on London Pubs there was a Robin Hood pub at 1 North Blomfield Street during the 1850s. However, it has not yet been possible to confirm this.
Pub Wiki and London Pubology both list the 'Robin Hood', at 1 Blomfield Street North, Hackney, referring to an 1856 Post Office Directory and the censuses of 1851 and 1861. However, IRHB has found no records for Blomfield Street, Hackney, in the 1851 census, and in that for 1861, names, ages and occupations of residents do not match the data cited by the websites. Unless the data we have seen is incomplete, there must be some misunderstanding, but until the 1856 Post Office Directory has been consulted, we must as it were, give this dead pub the benefit of doubt.
At first Blomfield Street was a single street in terms of nomenclature, but it was then divided into Blomfield Street North and Blomfield Street South. However, by 1893, when Dalston Junction Station had been established and railway tracks proliferated where Blomfield Street North had been, the intact south part and the stump of the northern one were reunited into Blomfield Street tout court. By 1913 it had been renamed Welbury Street, which no longer exists. The western bit of Freshfield Avenue more or less follows the course of the southern stretch of Blomfield Street.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map London (1873; surveyed 1870)
- 25" O.S. map London XL (1897, rev. 1893) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map London (1897; rev. 1893-1894)
- 25" O.S. map London (1916; rev. 1913)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex XVII (1880 to 1882; surveyed 1868-1873)
- 6" O.S. map London VII.NE (1894-1896, rev. 1893-1894) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map London VII.NE (1894 to 1896; rev. 1893-1894)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet K (1920; rev. 1913-1914)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet K (c. 1946; rev. 1938).
- London Pubology: Robin Hood; Pub Wiki: Robin Hood, 1 Blomfield Street North, Hackney E8; census records at the Genealogist (paid subscription required).