Robin Hood's Tump (Tilstone Fearnall)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.1349, -2.6371
Adm. div. Cheshire
Vicinity N/W side of Vale Road, Tistone Fearnall; c. 115 m S of Nantwich Road (A51)
Type Prehistoric site
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1936
Loading map...
Robin Hood's Tump, Tilstone Fearnall.
Robin Hood's Tump, Tilstone Fearnall / Tim Prevett, 26 Nov. 2013; via Megalithic Portal; used by permission.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-11-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07. Photo courtesy Tim Prevett, via the Megalithic Portal. Tim, who produces and acts as consultant and lecturer on slow TV, kindly brought this place-name to IRHB's attention.

'Robin Hood's Tump' is the name of the turf- and tree-covered remains of a Bronze Age round or bowl barrow situated on the north and west side of a turn in Vale Road, about 115 metres south of Nantwich Road (A5) in Tilstone Fearnall, Alpraham parish, Cheshire.

During excavation carried out by W. J. Varley in the 1930s,[1] no burials were found in the barrow, which turned out to be constructed of sand and turf. However, a dozen worked flints were discovered. Two post holes and a pit in the northern perimeter of the mound were attributed to occupation of the site prior to the construction of the mound. The mound is c. 17 m in diameter, reaching a height of no more than 1.2 m[2]

The 'Tump' is included as an unnamed 'Tumulus' on the early 25" O.S. maps listed below. What is perhaps the earliest use of the name 'Robin Hood's Tump' occurs in an article by archaeologist J. W. Jackson published in 1936.[3]

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Also see

Notes


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.