Plumpton Park (Emley)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.618197, -1.602968
Adm. div. West Riding of Yorkshire
Vicinity N brink of Bank Wood Beck, c. 300 m NW of Emley Grange, c. 1.7 km WNW of Emley
Type Area
Interest Literary locale
Status Defunct
First Record 1841
Loading map...
A small close formerly known as Plumpton Park.
The former Plumpton Park, on the outskirts of Bank Wood, near Emley / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-04-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.

A then enclosed area on the north brink of Bank Wood Beck, c. 300 m NW of Emley Grange, c. 1.7 km WNW of Emley and c. 6 km SW of Wakefield, was known as Plumpton Park in 1841. This is also the name in the Gest of Robyn Hode of an area – probably near the home of the knight Sir Richard at the Lee – where King Edward discovers to his chagrin that Robin Hood has severely depleted the stock of deer. Though this latter Plumpton Park is most probably to be thought of as the locality in Lancashire, this is not entirely certain, and it seems best, therefore, to record all occurrences of the name.

The field name occurs in the tithe award for 'Elmeley' (1841), where occupier is listed as Matthew Dawson, owner as George Hutchinson, an area of 19 perches (480.56 m2) and 'Garden' listed as 'State of Cultivation'.[1]

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1841 tithe award for Emley, online at the Genealogist, piece 43, sub-piece 144, image 538, item #316 (£)
  • accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 43, sub-piece 002, sub-image 001 (£).

Maps

Also see

Notes

  1. 1841 tithe award for Emley, online at the Genealogist, piece 43, sub-piece 144, image 538, item #316; accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 43, sub-piece 002, sub-image 001 (£).