Jump to: navigation, search

Marian's Inclosure (Forest of Dean)

Locality
Coordinates 51.8063, -2.6368
Adm. div. Gloucestershire
Vicinity SE part of Forest of Dean; E of Staunton; NW of Coleford
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1884
A.k.a. Marian's Inclosure; Marian's Enclosure; Marion's Inclosure
Loading map...
Marian's Inclosure (Forest of Dean).
Looking west from the A4136 approaching Staunton, the main Gloucester to Monmouth Road, through Marian's Inclosure / Jonathan Billinger, 6 Aug. 2009; Creative Commons, via Geograph.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-25. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-19.

"Marian's Inclosure" is the name of the part of the Forest of Dean immediately east of Staunton and northwest of Coleford, Gloucestershire. In this area of the forest is the site of Marian's Brick Works, which is situated just 150 meters from that of Robin Hood Iron Mine with which it was probably closely connected. It seems likely that the Inclosure was named after the Brick Works, whose name was in turn probably inspired by that of the iron mine. A further three localities or thoroughfares within or adjacent to the Inclosure are named after it. Maid Marian is thus likely directly or indirectly commemorated in no less than five place-names in this area.

For the Robin Hood connection, see further the page on Marian's Brick Works (Forest of Dean). Currently the earliest source for the place-name "Marian's Inclosure" known to IRHB is a 6" O.S. map of the area published in 1884 (see maps below).

Gazetteers

Maps

Background

Also see


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.