1585 - Buck, John - Pension Book of Gray's Inn
|Title||Pension Book of Gray's Inn|
|Mentions||Robin Hood's stake [archery target at Finsbury Fields]|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-31. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.
Item for my [John Buck's] charges of horse hire & other expenses in rydinge to Nonsuche to her Maties Court wth aunswere to the Counsailers towching Robin Hoods stake defacing viiis viid
Bracket as in printed source. 'Fletcher cites a letter from students at Gray's Inn concerning this case.
The archery targets, "stakes", on Finsbury Fields had names. One of them was Robin Hood's Stake; presumably this was the object of the vandals' attention. The writer of the account item, John Buck, was a butler, later steward, at Gray's Inn. This item has not been noted in previous studies.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Fletcher, Reginald James, ed. The Pension Book of Gray's Inn (Records of the Honourable Society) 1569-1669 (London, 1901-10), vol. I, pp. 315-19.
- K., A. J. 'Archery in Finsbury Fields', Gentleman's Magazine, vol. CII (1832), pp. 209-13; see especially p. 210 & n. ✝.
- Allusions to festivals
- 1585 - Lutterell, Thomas - Petition of Students of Gray's Inn
- Robin Hood Ball (Netheravon).
- Fletcher, Reginald James, ed. The Pension Book of Gray's Inn (Records of the Honourable Society) 1569-1669 (London, 1901-10), vol. I, p. 489.
- Fletcher. op. cit., vol. I, p. 489 n. 1.,
- K., A. J. 'Archery in Finsbury Fields', Gentleman's Magazine, vol. CII (1832), pp. 209-13; see p. 210 & n. ✝.
- See Fletcher. op. cit., vol. I, pp. 39, 71, 96,128 (bis), 128 n. 1, 142, 146, 483 (bis), 488 (bis).