1321 - Robert Hode in Glentham
|Topic||Gilbert de Croft de Caenby grants land in Glentham to Robert Hode de Hospitis Super Stratum|
Entry by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2015-08-04, from information supplied by Hectorsshoes56 and Dave Evans of robinhoodforum4. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-08.
Gilbert de Croft de Cavenby grants land in Glentham to Robert Hode de Hospitis Super Stratum
The text cited above is the National Archives' précis of the original record. Both Caenby and Glentham are in Lincolnshire (see Google map). The term 'Hospitis Super Stratum' refers to the hospital that is still remembered in the place-names Normanby-by-Spital and Owmby-by-Spital, immediately south of Caenby (see Google map). The street referred to in 'Super Stratum' was Ermine Street, the present A15. The hospital was at least as old as the reign of Edward II, when one John, son of Richard de Vendeur, vicar of Thevelby, was granted land for it in nearby Hemswell and Harpswell.
- Not included in Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- ZMI/B.23/IV/22, Northumberland Archives. Not seen, but cf. National Archives.
- ZMI/B24/I/28, Northumberland Archives. A transcript of preceding MS. Not seen, but cf. National Archives.
- GENUKI: Hemswell.
- GENUKI: Normanby-by-Spital.
- Wikipedia: Caenby.
- Wikipedia: Ermine Street.
- Wikipedia: Glentham.
- Wikipedia: Normanby by Spital.