Robin Hood and Little John (Prince Rock)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate 50.3677, -4.1108
Adm. div. Devon
Vicinity At present grounds of metal scrap yard, E end of Faraday Road; Prince Rock
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1869
Loading map...
The site of the Robin Hood and Little John, near Laira Bridge.
The site of the Robin Hood and Little John, now a scrap metal yard / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-24. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.

Plymouth local historian Chris Robinson notes that around the mid-19th century there was a pub called the Robin Hood and Little John '[j]ust below Laira Bridge, at Prince Rock'.[1]

The pub is included on the 6" map of the area published in 1869, based on surveying done in 1856: 'Robin Hood & Little John B.H.' (B.H. = beer house). This is the earliest source known to IRHB. The pub seems to have been one of the two northernmost of a row of six semi-detached houses near 'Princerock' at what is now the grounds of a metal scrap yard (see photo below). The houses are named 'Prince Rock Row' on a 25" O.S. map published c. 1854-63 (see Maps below).




Also see


  1. Chris Robinson's Plymouth: Robin Hood (page no longer existing; website still online.)