Robin Hood (Precinct, Coventry)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate Near 52.408122, -1.512296
Adm. div. Warwickshire
Vicinity On defunct Smithford Street, E of St John the Baptist Parish Church, W of Greyfriars Lane; not far from the Precinct
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1738
A.k.a. Robin Hood Inn
Loading map...
The Precinct, near which Smithford Street ran.
The Precinct, near which Smithford Street ran / Google Maps Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-13.

A Robin Hood pub on Smithford Street in central Coventry is first mentioned in 1738. This street, the extension of High Street towards Spoon Street, survives in part as Smithford Way. A conveyance dated 1738 and a lease dated 1739 refer to the property concerned as the former Robin Hood Inn.[1] Smithford Way is just around the corner from the Precinct.





Also see


  1. These records from the Jarvis Estate are held by Lincoln Records Office, according to the excellent Coventry historical pubs section of Real Ale Rambles. See further National Archives: Conveyance by Norton Hanson of property in Coventry including the Robin Hood Inn.