Robinhood End (Finchingfield)
|Vicinity||4.36 km NNE of Finchingfield|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-06-25. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-05.
Robinhood End is a hamlet located 4.36 km NNE of Finchingfield. The place-name is first recorded, as "Robyne Hoods End", in a deed dated 1699. It is indicated on John Chapman and Peter André's 1777 map of Essex (see Maps section and illustration below) as 'Robin Hoods end'. About 600 m. NNE of the hamlet is Robinhood End Farm.
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), p. 297, s.n. Robinhood End.
- Reaney, P.H. The Place-Names of Essex (English Place-Name Society, vol. XII) (Cambridge, 1969), p. 428.
- Chapman, John, cartog.; André, Peter, cartog. A Map of the County of Essex: from an Actual Survey taken in MDCCLXXII, LXXIII & MDCCLXXIV (London, 1777), plate III.
- 6" O.S. map of Essex X (1880, surveyed 1876-77)
- 6" O.S. map of Essex X.SE (1898, rev. 1896.)
- Reaney, P.H. The Place-Names of Essex (English Place-Name Society, vol. XII) (Cambridge, 1969), p. 428. The deed was unpublished and in a private collection as of 1969, cf. ibid., p. xli.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Detail from Chapman and André's Map of Essex (1777) / Superb scan of entire map by Biblioteca Virtual del Patrimoni Bibliogràfico).