Robin Hood (Loughton)
|Vicinity||Epping New Road, Loughton, Essex|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood Hotel|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-12.
The Robin Hood on Epping New Road near Loughton, Essex, is located at an important crossroads in Epping Forest. There can be little doubt that of all public houses named after the outlaw this is the one most frequently depicted on postcards. The earliest reference to this pub that I have found so far is a 6" O.S. map of the area published 1868, based on surveying carried out in 1866 (see Maps section below). Information on publicans gleaned from trade directories etc. from the period 1870–1933 can be found at UK Pub History (see Sources section below).
According to a 1990s "Nostalgia Postcard Collector's Club" card:
The postcard with the hordes of cyclists is included in the image gallery below. This notwithstanding, contemporary postcard makers seem to have had a predilection for quite cyclist-free motifs which instead featured people who could afford proper horse-driven transportation.
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), p. 298, s.n. Robin Hood Inn.
- 25" Essex LVII.12 (1896; rev. 1895)
- 25" Essex LVII.12 (1896; rev. 1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex VIII (1868; surveyed 1866)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LVII (1881; surveyed 1870-72)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LVII.SE (1897; rev. 1895)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex VIII.NW (1898; surveyed 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex VIII.NW (1898; surveyed 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Essex nLXIX.NW (1920; rev. 1915) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Essex nLXIX.NW (1935; rev. 1935) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Essex nLXIX.NW (1953; rev. 1938) (georeferenced)
- 1" O.S. map Sheet 257 (Outline) (1896; rev. 1893). (georeferenced)
- 1" O.S. map Sheet 257 (Hills) (1896; rev. 1893). (georeferenced)
- 1:25,000 Sheet TQ49 (1959; surveyed 1954-55)
- Bartholomew Sheet 25 (1903)
- The Robin Hood – Loughton. The pub's website.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
The Robin Hood, Loughton, Epping Forest / From the pub's website.