Robin Hood (Appley Bridge)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.597563, -2.72707
Adm. div. Lancashire
Vicinity By Robin Hood Lane N. of Appley Bridge between Hill House Fold Lane and Sparrow Hill/Hall Lane (A5209)
Type Settlement
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1841
Loading map...
Robin Hood (Appley Bridge).

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-01-10. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.

'Robin Hood' is the name of a hamlet on Robin Hood Lane, north of Appley Bridge, between Hill House Fold Lane and Sparrow Hill/Hall Lane (A5209).

The earliest reference so far known to IRHB is the 1841 tithe map for Wrightington.[1] The hamlet is also named on a 6" O.S. map published in 1849, based on a survey carried out 1845-46 (see Maps below). The tithe map includes the legend 'Robin Hood' at the corner of High Moor and Robin Hood lanes. The house on that corner, which can be seen in several of the photos included in the image gallery below, was the only one on the northwest side of Robin Hood Lane, and at that time the extension along High Moor Lane had not been added. This rectangular, somewhat wide and quite sturdy, solitary building on a street corner in a hamlet looks as though it may have started life as a public house. IRHB has seen no direct evidence for this, but it would not be surprising to find that the hamlet of Robin Hood acquired its name from a Robin Hood pub at a central location.

MS sources

  • 1841 tithe map for the 'Township of Wrightington in the parish of Eccleston', online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 350, sub-image 001 (£).

Gazetteers

Maps

Brief mention

Also see

Notes

  1. 1841 tithe map for the 'Township of Wrightington in the parish of Eccleston', online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 350, sub-image 001 (£).