Robin Hood (St Michael's Hill, Bristol)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Revision as of 15:31, 5 May 2022 by Henryfunk (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "UK Pub History" to "Pub History")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Coordinate 51.458598, -2.599443
Adm. div. Gloucestershire
Vicinity 56 St Michael's Hill, Bristol
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1848
Loading map...
The Robin Hood.
The Robin Hood / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2022-05-05.

The present Robin Hood at 56 St Michael's Hill in Bristol was in existence by 1848. Immediately north of the pub is Robin Hood Lane which connects St Michael's Hill and Horfield Road.

Between them, Pub History and Bristol's Lost Pubs list the names of 12 publicans from 1848 to 1975,[1] the first being John Gerrish (1848-49). It is not known if he was the first publican, but there cannot have been many in the years immediately before his tenure, for in 1841 the building was home to a carpentry and before that to a grocer's shop. However, there was also a Robin Hood pub on St Michael's Hill during the years 1752 to 82. Most likely this was located either at the same site, perhaps in the same building, or immediately north of Robin Hood Lane. See further Robin Hood and Little John (St Michael's Hill, Bristol).





Also see