Jump to: navigation, search

Westgate (Wakefield)

Locality
Coordinates 53.679444444444, -1.5127777777778
Adm. div. West Riding of Yorkshire
Vicinity c. 700 m WSW of Wakefield city centre
Type Area
Interest Local tradition
Status Defunct
First Record
Loading map...
The Westgate.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.

The area just north of central Wakefield which was formerly known as Pinders Fields (or Pinderfields) and whose name is now preserved in for instance Pinderfields General Hospital and Pinderfields Road, has often been connected with the famous Pinder of Wakefield, for whom see the entry on the ballad of the The Jolly Pinder of Wakefield (Child 124). However, according to A.H. Smith,[1] it was a (now long gone) pinfold at the end of Westgate that was associated with the "Jolly Pindar". In 1556 the construction of a pinfold there was considered a customary duty, while in 1579 the pinder was ordered to impound all pigs straying into the churchyard.

Sources

Also see

Notes