Sherwood Way (Selston)
|Vicinity||ENE from Portland Road in Selston|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-23. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-06-01.
Sherwood Way, a residential street in Selston, leads east-north-east from Portland Road. Not included on late 19th to early 20th century O.S. maps, this street is no doubt of 20th century date.
This street name may have been inspired by the proximity to Sherwood Forest rather than the Robin Hood tradition, but it is natural to think that it inspired the more or less certainly Robin Hood-related names of two of its side streets: Maid Marion Avenue (Selston) and Friar's Close (Selston).
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXII.2 (1879; surveyed 1877)
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXII.2 (1900; rev. 1898)
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXII.2 (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXII.2 (1916; rev. 1913).
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XLI.NW (1901; rev. 1898-99) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XXXII.NW (1884; surveyed 1878-80)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XLI.NW (1901; rev. 1898-99)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XLI (1921; rev. 1913-14)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire XLI.NW (1921; rev. 1913-14).