Difference between revisions of "Robin Hood and Little John (Arnold)"

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
m (Text replacement - "<div class="no-img"><p id="byline">" to "<div class="no-img"> <p id="byline">")
m (Text replacement - "private collection" to "HTN collection")
Line 46: Line 46:
 
geograph-4444912-by-Stephen-McKay.jpg|Robin Hood (and) Little John, Church Street, Arnold / [http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4444912 Stephen McKay, 18 Apr. 2015, Creative Commons, via Geograph.]
 
geograph-4444912-by-Stephen-McKay.jpg|Robin Hood (and) Little John, Church Street, Arnold / [http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4444912 Stephen McKay, 18 Apr. 2015, Creative Commons, via Geograph.]
 
10365654_302301626614835_5842434372992243192_o.jpg|The Robin Hood and Little john in the black and white era / [https://www.facebook.com/TRHALJ/ Facebook: The Robin Hood (and) Little John.]
 
10365654_302301626614835_5842434372992243192_o.jpg|The Robin Hood and Little john in the black and white era / [https://www.facebook.com/TRHALJ/ Facebook: The Robin Hood (and) Little John.]
Home Brewery PLC 1985a-r.jpg|The pub in modern black and white / {{:Home Brewery PLC 1985a}}; private collection
+
Home Brewery PLC 1985a-r.jpg|The pub in modern black and white / {{:Home Brewery PLC 1985a}}; HTN collection
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
  
 
{{PnItemNav}}
 
{{PnItemNav}}

Revision as of 15:42, 24 November 2020

Template:PnItemTop

Loading map...
Robin Hood and Little John, Arnold

[[File:|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-11-24. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of books and a blog on English holy wells.

The Robin Hood and Little John has traded under that name – now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" – ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,[1]

In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches (Template:AcreRoodPerchToM2 m2).[2] As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all. Information on publicans for the years 1925-41 can be found at UK Pub History.[3]Template:PnItemQry

Gazetteers

MS Sources

Printed and online sources

Maps

Background

Template:PnItemAlsoSee

Notes