Difference between revisions of "Robin Hood and Little John (Arnold)"

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
m
m
Line 3: Line 3:
 
[[File:{{#var:Pnimage}}|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]]
 
[[File:{{#var:Pnimage}}|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]]
 
<p id="byline">By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by {{#realname:{{REVISIONUSER}}}}, {{REVISIONYEAR}}-{{REVISIONMONTH}}-{{REVISIONDAY2}}. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ books] and a [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/ blog] on English holy wells.</p><div class="no-img">
 
<p id="byline">By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by {{#realname:{{REVISIONUSER}}}}, {{REVISIONYEAR}}-{{REVISIONMONTH}}-{{REVISIONDAY2}}. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ books] and a [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/ blog] on English holy wells.</p><div class="no-img">
The Robin Hood and Little John has traded that name &ndash; now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" &ndash; ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose  by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,<ref>{{:Home Brewery PLC 1985a}}.</ref>
+
The Robin Hood and Little John has traded under that name &ndash; now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" &ndash; ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose  by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,<ref>{{:Home Brewery PLC 1985a}}.</ref>
  
 
In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches ({{AcreRoodPerchToM2|0|0|21}} m<sup>2</sup>).<ref>[https://www.thegenealogist.com The Genealogist: Arnold tithe award, Piece 26, Sub-Piece 001, Image 81, No. 1072 (1842)] (subscription required). No occupier (or state of cultivation) is given.</ref> As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all. Information on publicans for the years 1925-41 can be found at UK Pub History.<ref>[https://pubhistory.co.uk//Nottinghamshire/Arnold/RobinHood.shtml UK Pub History: Robin Hood, Church Street, Arnold, Nottinghamshire.]</ref>{{PnItemQry}}
 
In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches ({{AcreRoodPerchToM2|0|0|21}} m<sup>2</sup>).<ref>[https://www.thegenealogist.com The Genealogist: Arnold tithe award, Piece 26, Sub-Piece 001, Image 81, No. 1072 (1842)] (subscription required). No occupier (or state of cultivation) is given.</ref> As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all. Information on publicans for the years 1925-41 can be found at UK Pub History.<ref>[https://pubhistory.co.uk//Nottinghamshire/Arnold/RobinHood.shtml UK Pub History: Robin Hood, Church Street, Arnold, Nottinghamshire.]</ref>{{PnItemQry}}

Revision as of 20:26, 23 October 2018

Template:PnItemTop

Loading map...
Robin Hood and Little John, Arnold

[[File:|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-23. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of books and a blog on English holy wells.

The Robin Hood and Little John has traded under that name – now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" – ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,[1]

In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches (Template:AcreRoodPerchToM2 m2).[2] As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all. Information on publicans for the years 1925-41 can be found at UK Pub History.[3]Template:PnItemQry

Gazetteers

MS Sources

Printed and online sources

Maps

Background

Template:PnItemAlsoSee

Notes

Template:ImgGalleryIntro


Template:PnItemNav