Difference between revisions of "Robin Hood and Little John (Arnold)"

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
__NOTOC__{{PnItemTop|Lat=53.006650|Lon=-1.127358|AdmDiv=Nottinghamshire|Vicinity=Intersection of Church and Cross streets in Arnold|Type=Public house|Interest=Robin Hood name|Status=Extant|Demonym=English|Riding=|GreaterLondon=|Year=1796|Aka=Robin Hood (and) Little John|Century=|Cluster1=Arnold|Cluster2=|Cluster3=|Image=robin-hood-and-little-john-arnold.jpg|Postcards=Yes|ExtraCat1=Places named after Little John|ExtraCat2=|ExtraCat3=|ExtraCat4=|ExtraCat5=|ExtraLink1=|ExtraLink2=|ExtraLink3=|ExtraLink4=|ExtraLink5=|ExtraLinkName1=|ExtraLinkName2=|ExtraLinkName3=|ExtraLinkName4=|ExtraLinkName5=|GeopointPrefix=|GeopointSuffix=|StatusSuffix=|DatePrefix=|DateSuffix=}}
+
__NOTOC__{{PnItemTop|Lat=53.006650|Lon=-1.127358|AdmDiv=Nottinghamshire|Vicinity=Intersection of Church and Cross streets in Arnold|Type=Public house|Interest=Robin Hood name|Status=Extant|Demonym=English|Riding=|GreaterLondon=|Year=1796|Aka=Robin Hood (and) Little John; Robin Hood Inn|Century=|Cluster1=Arnold|Cluster2=|Cluster3=|Image=robin-hood-and-little-john-arnold.jpg|Postcards=Yes|ExtraCat1=Places named after Little John|ExtraCat2=|ExtraCat3=|ExtraCat4=|ExtraCat5=|ExtraLink1=|ExtraLink2=|ExtraLink3=|ExtraLink4=|ExtraLink5=|ExtraLinkName1=|ExtraLinkName2=|ExtraLinkName3=|ExtraLinkName4=|ExtraLinkName5=|GeopointPrefix=|GeopointSuffix=|StatusSuffix=|DatePrefix=|DateSuffix=}}
 
{{#display_map:{{#var:Coords}}|width=34%}}<div class="pnMapLegend">Robin Hood and Little John, Arnold</div>
 
{{#display_map:{{#var:Coords}}|width=34%}}<div class="pnMapLegend">Robin Hood and Little John, Arnold</div>
 
[[File:{{#var:Pnimage}}|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]]
 
[[File:{{#var:Pnimage}}|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]]
 
<p id="byline">By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by {{#realname:{{REVISIONUSER}}}}, {{REVISIONYEAR}}-{{REVISIONMONTH}}-{{REVISIONDAY2}}. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ books] and a [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/ blog] on English holy wells.</p><div class="no-img">
 
<p id="byline">By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by {{#realname:{{REVISIONUSER}}}}, {{REVISIONYEAR}}-{{REVISIONMONTH}}-{{REVISIONDAY2}}. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/about-pixyled-publications/ books] and a [https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/ blog] on English holy wells.</p><div class="no-img">
The Robin Hood and Little John has done business under that name &ndash; now in the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" &ndash; ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose  by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,<ref>{{:Home Brewery PLC 1985a}}.</ref>
+
The Robin Hood and Little John has done business under that name &ndash; now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" &ndash; ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose  by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,<ref>{{:Home Brewery PLC 1985a}}.</ref>
 +
 
 +
In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches ({{AcreRoodPerchToM2|0|0|21}} m<sup>2</sup>).<ref>[https://www.thegenealogist.com The Genealogist: Arnold tithe award, Piece 26, Sub-Piece 001, Image 81, No. 1072 (1842)] (subscription required). No occupier (or state of cultivation) is given.</ref> As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all.{{#ask:[[Category:Records ({{#ifeq:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}||{{PAGENAME}}|{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|0| {{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}} }},{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}}|1}}{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}+1}}}}}}]]| format=embedded|embedformat=h4|columns=1|limit=1000|sort=Utitle|intro=<h3>Records</h3>}}{{#ask:[[Category:Allusions ({{#ifeq:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}||{{PAGENAME}}|{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|0| {{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}} }},{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}}|1}}{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}+1}}}}}}]]| format=embedded|embedformat=h4|columns=1|limit=1000|sort=Utitle|intro=<h3>Allusions</h3>}}
 +
<!--=== Gazetteers ===-->
 +
 
 +
=== MS Sources ===
 +
* [https://www.thegenealogist.com The Genealogist: Arnold tithe award, Piece 26, Sub-Piece 001, Image 81, No. 1072 (1842)] (subscription required)
 +
* [https://www.thegenealogist.com The Genealogist: Arnold tithe map, Piece 26, Sub-Piece 1, Sub-Image 001 (1842)] (subscription required).
  
As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on the late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all.{{#ask:[[Category:Records ({{#ifeq:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}||{{PAGENAME}}|{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|0| {{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}} }},{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}}|1}}{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}+1}}}}}}]]| format=embedded|embedformat=h4|columns=1|limit=1000|sort=Utitle|intro=<h3>Records</h3>}}{{#ask:[[Category:Allusions ({{#ifeq:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}||{{PAGENAME}}|{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|0| {{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}} }},{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}-1}}|1}}{{#sub:{{PAGENAME}}|{{#expr:{{#pos:{{PAGENAME}}|(|}}+1}}}}}}]]| format=embedded|embedformat=h4|columns=1|limit=1000|sort=Utitle|intro=<h3>Allusions</h3>}}
 
<!--=== Gazetteers ===
 
=== Sources ===-->
 
 
=== Maps ===
 
=== Maps ===
 
* [https://maps.nls.uk/view/115391957#zoom=5&lat=9509&lon=15538&layers=BT 25" O.S. map ''Nottinghamshire'' XXXVIII.6 (1883; surveyed 1877-81)]
 
* [https://maps.nls.uk/view/115391957#zoom=5&lat=9509&lon=15538&layers=BT 25" O.S. map ''Nottinghamshire'' XXXVIII.6 (1883; surveyed 1877-81)]

Revision as of 00:00, 27 May 2018

Template:PnItemTop

Loading map...
Robin Hood and Little John, Arnold

[[File:|thumb|right|500px|The Robin Hood (and) Little John / Photo courtesy Ross Parish.]]

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-27. Photo courtesy Ross Parish, author of books and a blog on English holy wells.

The Robin Hood and Little John has done business under that name – now using the quirky variant "Robin Hood (and) Little John" – ever since 1796, when it opened in premises newly built for the purpose by Thomas Sturtivant, keeper of Nottingham jail,[1]

In the tithe award for Arnold (1842) the land on which the pub stands is listed as "Robin Hood Inn & Yard", the landowners as the trustees of Stirtevant, and the area as 13 perches (Template:AcreRoodPerchToM2 m2).[2] As is usually the case with public houses in urban areas, the Robin Hood and Little John is only indicated as "P.H." on late 19th to mid-20th century O.S. maps (see Maps section below); on some it is not labelled at all.

MS Sources

Maps

Background

Template:PnItemAlsoSee

Notes

Template:ImgGalleryIntro


Template:PnItemNav