Robin Hood Wood (Ripon)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Revision as of 18:55, 7 February 2019 by Henryfunk (talk | contribs) (Created page with "__NOTOC__{{PnItemTop|Lat=54.130144|Lon=-1.535738|AdmDiv=Yorkshire|Vicinity=Immediately W and SW of Borrage Green, S of River Skell in Ripon|Type=Natural feature|Interest=Robin...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Template:PnItemTop

Loading map...
Robin Hood Wood.

[[File:|500px|thumb|right|Robinhood Field at the centre. The path oriented NNE to SSW more or less coincides with the boundary between the two areas listed in the tithe award / Google Maps Street View.]]

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-07.

'Robin Hood Wood' was the name of a wooded area at the south-western perimeter of Borrage Green and along the south bank of the Skell immediately west of the green in Ripon.

The area is labelled 'Robin Hood Wood' on a 6" O.S. map published in 1856 (based on a survey carried out 1849 to 1853; see Maps below). The name is not found on more recent O.S. maps available on the web. Most of the trees would have been on the north-eastern side of the path that runs NNW from Red Bank Lane. When the 1856 map was prepared, the wood appears to have stretched a curving arm towards the south-west into the area on the south-west side of the path, where two solitary trees now stand (as shown below on the Google satellite image). The part of Borrage Green lined by some of these trees was known as Robinhood Field,

Robin Hood Wood and Robinhood Field are located c. 4 km NE of Fountains Abbey, which in additions to the traditions connecting it with the Curtal Friar/Friar Tuck has a Robin Hood's Park and Well. Ripon is now administratively part of North Yorkshire.Template:PnItemQry

Gazetteers

Maps

Template:PnItemAlsoSee

Notes



Template:PnItemNav