Difference between revisions of "Robin Hood Street Close (Outwood)"

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
m
Line 19: Line 19:
  
 
== Lands of Outwood Hall ==
 
== Lands of Outwood Hall ==
The records dating from 1790-91 (see Records below) are concerned with lands occupied by Joseph Armytage of 'the Lodge'. Property group vi in the records includes a couple of significant items of information. It consists of a messuage situated 'near the Lodge, adjoining Brag Lane'. On 6" O.S. map ''Yorkshire'' 233 (1854) (see Maps below), only the part of Potovens Lane north of Bradford Road is known under that name, its name south of that road and as far south as Wrenthorpe being then named Brag Lane. The map also reveals that at the time the neighbourhood immediately south of Bradford Road and west of Brag Lane (Potovens Lane in modern terms) was known as Brag Lane End, a name which remained in use for a few decades but then disappeared from the maps. A web page on the history of Outwood Hall tells us that it was then known as Woodside Lodge or 'the Lodge' ''tout court''.<ref>[https://outwoodcommunityvideo.co.uk/the-story-of-outwood-hall.html Outwood Community Video: The Story of Outwood Hall.]</ref> Property group xi mentions Snow Hill, which is/was located near Red Hall Lane, south of Wrenthorpe. Modern residential streets in the vicinity are named Snow Hill Close and Rise. If this information is paired with what we can glean from the tithe award for Stanley cum Wrenthorpe it becomes clear that the Robin Hood closes must have been situated within an area bounded (approximately) on the north by Ledger Lane, on the east by Leeds Road (A61) as far south as the Bar Lane intersection, on the south by a line from the latter point to Wrenthorpe, on the west by Wrenthorpe Road and Potovens Lane to the interesction of the latter and Ledger Lane.
+
The records dating from 1790-91 (see Records below) are concerned with lands occupied by Joseph Armytage of 'the Lodge'. Property group vi in the records includes a couple of significant items of information. It consists of a messuage situated 'near the Lodge, adjoining Brag Lane'. On 6" O.S. map ''Yorkshire'' 233 (1854) (see Maps below), only the part of Potovens Lane north of Bradford Road is known under that name, its name south of that road and as far south as Wrenthorpe being then named Brag Lane. The map also reveals that at the time the neighbourhood immediately south of Bradford Road and west of Brag Lane (Potovens Lane in modern terms) was known as Brag Lane End, a name which remained in use for a few decades but then disappeared from the maps. A web page on the history of Outwood Hall tells us that it was known in the 18th and 19th centuries as Woodside Lodge or 'the Lodge' ''tout court''.<ref>[https://outwoodcommunityvideo.co.uk/the-story-of-outwood-hall.html Outwood Community Video: The Story of Outwood Hall.]</ref> Property group xi mentions Snow Hill, which is/was located near Red Hall Lane, south of Wrenthorpe. Modern residential streets in the vicinity are named Snow Hill Close and Rise. If this information is paired with what we can glean from the tithe award for Stanley cum Wrenthorpe it becomes clear that the Robin Hood closes must have been situated within an area bounded (approximately) on the north by Ledger Lane, on the east by Leeds Road (A61) as far south as the Bar Lane intersection, on the south by a line from the latter point to Wrenthorpe, on the west by Wrenthorpe Road and Potovens Lane to the interesction of the latter and Ledger Lane.
  
 
<!-- Brag Lane Pit was located north of Bradford Road: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.70480&lon=-1.51821&layers=168&b=5 -->
 
<!-- Brag Lane Pit was located north of Bradford Road: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.70480&lon=-1.51821&layers=168&b=5 -->

Revision as of 04:36, 24 August 2020

Template:PnItemTop

Loading map...
Robin Hood Street Close would have been in this neighbourhood.

[[File:|thumb|right|500px|Looking roughly north on Potovens Lane; Robin Hood Street Close would have been somewhere east or south-east of this spot / Google Earth Street View.]]

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-08-15. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-08-24.

'Robinhoodstreteclose' figures in the records as early as 1651. It must have been situated somwhere on the east side of Potovens or Wrenthorpe Lane.

A. H. Smith treats the mention of this in the court roll of the Manor of Wakefield for 1651 as the earliest reference to a locality known in 1657 and later as Robin Hood Hill (see Records below).[1] However, rather than referring to the entire hill, the name probably referred to a close on the east side side of Potovens Lane, a street crossing Robin Hood's Hill in an area about equidistant from Wrenthorpe, Carr Gate and Outwood. This stretch of the lane was previously known as Robin Hood Hill Lane. On the east side of it formerly stood Robin Hood House, while at the north end of the hill, Robin Hood Bridge still takes Potovens Lane over the line of the former West Yorkshire Railway, which is now the Doncaster and Leeds Line. In 1790-91, a couple of generations before the railway came, several fields on the east side of Robin Hood Hill were named after Robin Hood or had been so within living memory:


Back in the mid-17th century Robin Hood Street Close was found there. In order to avoid nedless repetition across several pages, all these are discussed together here.

None of the closes on the east side of Potovens Lane can be pinpointed on the map, but they all lay on land belonging to the Manor of Wakefield, for they are all referred to in the Wakefield Manor Court Rolls. Since no tithes must be paid for them, they are not listed in the tithe award for Stanley cum Wrenthorpe (1845), but very helpfully they are included on the accompanying tithe map where, unlike those included in the tithe award, they are shown without a number referring to the corresponding schedule entry. The fact that 'numberless' fields and closes can potentially be identified as belonging to the manor tells us, together with the identity of the owner of the lands and a couple of references to identifiable localities in the court roll entries from 1790-91, in which neighbourhood the Robin Hood closes must have been located.

Lands of Outwood Hall

The records dating from 1790-91 (see Records below) are concerned with lands occupied by Joseph Armytage of 'the Lodge'. Property group vi in the records includes a couple of significant items of information. It consists of a messuage situated 'near the Lodge, adjoining Brag Lane'. On 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 233 (1854) (see Maps below), only the part of Potovens Lane north of Bradford Road is known under that name, its name south of that road and as far south as Wrenthorpe being then named Brag Lane. The map also reveals that at the time the neighbourhood immediately south of Bradford Road and west of Brag Lane (Potovens Lane in modern terms) was known as Brag Lane End, a name which remained in use for a few decades but then disappeared from the maps. A web page on the history of Outwood Hall tells us that it was known in the 18th and 19th centuries as Woodside Lodge or 'the Lodge' tout court.[2] Property group xi mentions Snow Hill, which is/was located near Red Hall Lane, south of Wrenthorpe. Modern residential streets in the vicinity are named Snow Hill Close and Rise. If this information is paired with what we can glean from the tithe award for Stanley cum Wrenthorpe it becomes clear that the Robin Hood closes must have been situated within an area bounded (approximately) on the north by Ledger Lane, on the east by Leeds Road (A61) as far south as the Bar Lane intersection, on the south by a line from the latter point to Wrenthorpe, on the west by Wrenthorpe Road and Potovens Lane to the interesction of the latter and Ledger Lane.

Template:PnItemQry

Gazetteers

Printed sources

Maps

Background

Template:PnItemAlsoSee

Notes


Template:PnItemNav