Robin Hood Dip (Cherry Hinton)
|Vicinity||On the corner of Cherry Hinton Road and High Street, Cherry Hinton, 4 km SE of Cambridge|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|First Record||c. 1960|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-09-01.
Robin Hood Dip is a local name for a pool in a park across the High Street from a pub known since c. 1960 as Robin Hood & Little John but more recently re-christened the Robin Hood. Presumably it was the proximity to the pub that inspired the name Robin Hood Dip, which would therefore have arisen c. 1960 or later. In the "dip" is a tiny island called the Giant's Grave. It is thought that the giant in question was Gogmagog. Robin Hood Dip is also known locally as rhe Springhead or rhe Spring. The natural well at the site supplied water to the city of Cambridge during the 19th century. In the 19th century, a little bridge led to the island in the pond, but two large stones in the water are all that now remains of it.
The island in the pool [...] is locally known as Giant's Grave, it is thought after the giant Gogmagog, which legend says lived nearby, but the name may also have come from some Iron Age burials which were unearthed locally on Lime Kiln Hill, where the skeletons were unusually tall (Cherry Hinton Chronicle, 1854) This 'Giant's Grave' site is also locally known as 'The Spring' or 'Springhead' or 'Robin Hood dip'. It has been given to the local people as a public park since 1941. There used to be watercress growing in the spring
- Not included in Dobson & Taylor.
- Friends of Cherry Hinton Hall: Giants Grave PDF leaflet (on history, archaeology, botany etc.)
- Friends of Cherry Hinton Hall: Giants Grave (web page).
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1888; surveyed 1886)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1904; rev. 1901)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1904; rev. 1901) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1927; rev. 1925)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (c. 1945; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1952; rev. 1950).