Robin Hood (Rotherham)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||In Rotherham, on the north side of Rodger Street|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-01-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.
There apparently once was a public house named the Robin Hood on the north side of what is now called Rodger Street, just west of Rotherham. This spot is labelled "Robin Hood" on the 6" O.S. map of the area published in 1854, based on surveying carried out in 1850-51 (see Maps section below). Public houses usually have "(P.H.)" after their name on the 6" O.S. maps unless the nature of the establishment is obvious from its name, as for instance in "Robin Hood Inn". This indication is lacking in the present instance, but as the name does seem to apply to a building, this was most likely a public house. In the immediate vicinity is a Robin Hood Bridge. The public house had been replaced by a foundry by 1901 or 1902 when a new revision of the map was being prepared (see Maps section below).
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 289 (1854; surveyed 1850-51)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CCLXXXIX.SW (1906; rev. 1901-1902)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CCLXXXIX.SW (1924; rev. 1921)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CCLXXXIX (1924; rev. 1921-22)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CCLXXXIX (1934; rev. 1934-35) [sic].