From International Robin Hood Bibliography
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-15. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-17.
This section is concerned with poetry other than ballads, 'art' rather than popular literature.
- Anonymous - Untitled burlesque (3)
- Benét, William Rose - Death of Robin Hood
- Crossley, Thomas - Written at Grave of Robin Hood
- Gale, Roger - Poem on Robin Hood's Well
- Jones, William - Friar Tuck's Chaunt
- Noyes, Alfred - Sherwood
- R, J F - Adventure in Sherwood Forest
- R, J F - Morte de Robin Hode
- Raymond, George - Legend of Dunmow
- Scott, Walter - Inscription for Robin Hood's Well
- Southey, Robert - Robin Hood
- W, W H C - Robin Hood and His Merry Men
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 191-94, 198-202. Includes the anonymous Robin Hood and the Duke of Lancaster (1727; pp. 191-94); John Keats: Robin Hood: to a Friend (1818; p. 198f); Alfred Noyes: Sherwood (1904; p. 200f). With useful brief introductions to the poems.
Studies and criticism
- Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 158-72. Excellent discussion of 19th century Robin Hood poetry under the heading "Developing a 'Greenwood' Poetry".