Lower Robin Hood Lane (Helsby)
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|First Record||20th cent.?|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-01-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-06-04.
Lower Robin Hood Lane is not labelled on any of the O.S. maps listed below (see Maps section), but as several other streets in Helsby also lack labels we cannot conclude from this that the street name had not come into use at the time. The element 'lower' serves to distinguish this street Robin Hood Lane tout court. Thee lanes, like three fields in the immediate vicinity, all owe or owed their names to the Robin Hood pub, which until recently stodo at about the centre of this area with Robin Hood-themed field and street names.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Not included in Dodgson, John McN.; Rumble, Alexander R. The Place-Names of Cheshire, pts. I-V (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIV-XLVIII, LIV, LXXIV) (Cambridge, 1970-72; [s.l.], 1981; Nottingham, 1997).
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (c. 1874; surveyed c. 1872). No Copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (1898; rev. 1897) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (1898; rev. 1897)
- 25" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.6 (1935; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII (1881; surveyed 1873-74)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (1899; rev. 1897)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (1899; rev. 1897) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (1911; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (c. 1936; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XXXII.NW (c. 1944; rev. 1938).