Little Johns (Blackmore)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Revision as of 23:48, 11 February 2021 by Henryfunk (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "(subscription required)" to "(£)")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Locality
Coordinate 51.685, 0.3275
Adm. div. Essex
Vicinity Immediately west of Fryerning Wood
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1845
Loading map...
Little Johns, Blackmore.
Little Johns, Blackmore (red outline), / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-02-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.

The 1845 tithe award for Blackmore lists 'Little Johns' as the name of a close immediately west of Fryerning Wood. Its owner is listed as Thomas John Mattham, occupier as William Lawrence, state of cultivation as 'Pasture', area as 3 acres, state of cultivation as 'Pas[ture]', 2 roods and 1 perches (14442.22 m2).[1]

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • Tithe award for Blackmore, online at the Genealogist, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Image 017 (£)
  • Accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Sub-Image 001 (£).

Printed sources

Maps

Little Johns not labelled.

Background

Also see


Notes

  1. Tithe award for Blackmore, online at the Genealogist, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Image 017 (£); Genealogist, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Sub-Image 001; map (£). Waller, William Chapman, compil. 'Essex Field Names: Part VIII.—The Hundred of Chelmsford', Transactions of the Essex Archæological Society, New Series, vol. IX (1903), pp. 156-179; see pp. 157, 170.