Little John Field (Hebden)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||E side of Burnsall Lane, c. 700 m SE of Hebden|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-04-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.
A close on the east side of Burnsall Lane, c. 700 m SE of Hebden, is or was once known as 'Little John Field'.
The field name occurs in the tithe award for Hebden (1846), where it and a larger neighbouring piece, 'John Field', are listed with Sarah Chamberlain as owner and Thomas Stockdale as occupier. The smaller piece is listed with an area of 1 acre and 2 perches (4097.44 m2), the larger with 5 acres, 3 roods and 14 perches (23623.52 m2). For both fields 'Meadow' is entered under 'State of Cultivation'. The closes likely belong (and belonged) to the nearby Rainlands Farm, which figures on old OS maps as 'Rainlands House' or 'Rainlands' tout court. These two Johns are not labelled on O.S. maps which, however, include 'John Lathe' which sits on a field immediately NE of John Field.
Formerly in the West Riding, Hebden now belongs administratively to North Yorkshire.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 1846 tithe award for Hebden in the parish of Linton, online at the Genealogist.com, piece 43, sub-piece 205, image 010, items #471 and #472 (£)
- accompanying map, online at the Genealogist.com, piece 43, sub-piece 205, sub-image 003 (£).
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXIV.11 (1891; surveyed 1890)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXIV.11 (1909, rev. 1907) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXIV.11 (1909; rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 134 (1853; surveyed 1848-1850)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXIV (1894; surveyed 1889-1890)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXIV.SE (1911; rev. 1907) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXIV.SE (1911; rev. 1907).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.