Jonson, Benjamin - Sad Shepherd
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-15. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-07-20.
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 231-36 (excerpts)
- Jonson, Ben; Adams, Robert Martin, ed. Ben Jonson's Plays and Masques (New York and London, ©1979), pp. 275-310.
Studies and criticism
- Greg, Walter W. 'On the Date of the "Sad Shepherd"', The Modern Language Quarterly, vol. 5 (1902), pp. 65-71
- Knight, Stephen. "'Meere English Flocks': Ben Jonson's The Sad Shepherd and the Robin Hood tradition", in: Phillips, Helen, ed. Robin Hood: Medieval and Post-Medieval (Dublin, 2005), pp. 129-44
- Uéno, Yoshiko. 'Robin Hood Plays and Pastoral: Two Huntingdon Plays and The Sad Shepherd', Studies in English Literature: A Journal Devoted to English and American Language and Literature Published by The English Literary Society of Japan, English Number (1979), pp. 19-36.
- Freeburg, Victor Oscar. Disguise Plots in Elizabethan Drama: a Study in Stage Tradition (Columbia University Studies in English and Comparative Literature) (New York, 1915)
Localities figuring in the play
Localities figuring as locales or mentioned in The Sad Shepherd: