Yew Tree (Doveridge)
|Vicinity||Churchyard, St Cuthbert's Church, Doveridge|
|A.k.a.||Doveridge Yew; Church Yew Tree|
According to a local tradition inspired by the ballad of Robin Hood's Birth, Breeding, Valor and Marriage, Robin Hood and Maid Marian were betrothed under the ample branches of an old, large and still living yew tree in the churchyard in Doveridge.
This famous tree, now supported by props and chains, is widely believed to be at least a thousand years old, but since its heartwood has seriously decayed, it is difficult to determine its age. While there may well be earlier records of this, the earliest source known to IRHB to connect the yew with Robin Hood is a pamphlet on the history of the church of St Cuthbert and its churchyard published in 1986. In Robin Hood's Birth, Breeding, Valor and Marriage, the wedding of Robin Hood and Maid Marian takes place at or near Tutbury soon after the two meet, the parson of Doveridge. being then sent for to perform the rites. While no doubt inspired by it, the notion of the pair being betrothed at Doveridge is therefore not entirely in keeping with the ballad.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Middleton, Jane. St. Cuthbert's Church, Doveridge: a Guide and Brief History ([?: ?], 1986). Not seen.
- Ancient Yew Group: Doveridge, St Cuthbert's, Diocese of Derby, SK11383410.
- Waymarking: Yew Tree - St Cuthbert - Doveridge, Derbyshire.
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.3 (c. 1885; surveyed c. 1880-83). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.3 (1901; rev. 1899) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.3 (1901; rev. 1899)
- 25" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.3 (1922; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.NE (1901; rev. 1899) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.NE (1885; surveyed 1880–82)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII.NE (1901; rev. 1899)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII (1924; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII (c. 1949; rev. 1938).
- Ancient Yew Group: Carrying the Canopy Overhead
- Diocese of Derby: Yew Knows Best
- Doveridge History: The Yew Tree
- Doveridge place-name cluster
- Places named Robin Hood's Tree
- Robin Hood's Birth, Breeding, Valor and Marriage
- Loxley (Bramshall).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
The Doveridge Yew – Trunk / Jonathan Clitheroe, 7 Sep. 2013, Creative Commons, via Geograph.
Ancient yew tree in the churchyard at Doveridge / Peter Taylor, 13 Apr. 2009; Creative Commons, via Geograph.
St Cuthbert's Church, Doveridge / Dave Kelly, 30 Aug. 2017; Creative Commons, via Geograph.