|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||c. 700 m WSW of Wakefield city centre|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.
The area just north of central Wakefield which was formerly known as Pinders Fields (or Pinderfields) and whose name is now preserved in for instance Pinderfields General Hospital and Pinderfields Road, has often been connected with the famous Pinder of Wakefield, for whom see the entry on the ballad of the The Jolly Pinder of Wakefield (Child 124). However, according to A. H. Smith, it was a (now long gone) pinfold at the end of Westgate that was associated with the "Jolly Pindar". In 1556 the construction of a pinfold there was considered a customary duty, while in 1579 the pinder was ordered to impound all pigs straying into the churchyard.
- Smith, A.H. The Place-Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XXX-XXXVII) (Cambridge, 1961-63), pt. II, p. 168.