Sherwood House (Clapham)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 54.112092, -2.456002
Adm. div. West Riding of Yorkshire
Vicinity c. 3.3 km E of Bentham; c. 4.2 km W of Clapham
Type Building
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant?
First Record
Loading map...
Sherwood House probably owes its name to the proximity to a hill named Robin Hood Butts.
Sign reading 'Sherwood', front right; Sherwood House must be just beyond and below the hill / Michael Graham, 21 May 2006, Creative Commons, via Geograph.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2014-09-05. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-05-29.

Sherwood House, situated c. 3.3 km E of Bentham and c. 4.2 km W of Clapham, Craven, was in existence and so named by the mid-19th century. The name may well have been suggested by the presence of a hill or mound named Robin Hood Butts in the vicinity.

Perhaps now more commonly known under the name Butt Hill, Robin Hood Butts are located less than 500 m northeast of Sherwood House. In view of this it seems likely that the latter name is at least indirectly connected with Robin Hood. Sherwood House is first recorded on a 6" O.S. map of the area published 1851, based on a survey made in 1846-47 (see Maps below). It is included (and named) in all the later maps listed below. IRHB is not sure if the name is still in use.

Formerly in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the area where the hill is situated now belongs administratively to North Yorkshire.

Maps

Gazetteers

Also see


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.