|Vicinity||Southminster; slightly SE of Asheldham; c. 575 m NW of Middlewick Windfarm|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-02-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-22.
The 1842 tithe award for Southminster includes in its listing for North Wick a plot of land named 'Robinhood', owned by John Faithful Fortescue and occupied by John Kemp, with 'Grass' as state of cultivation and an area of 20 acres, 2 roods and 17 perches (83390.54 m2). Robinhood was situated c. 150 m NW of Robinshood Marsh in Dengie and c. 575 m NW of Middlewick Windfarm I have no evidence to show if the name 'Robinhood' is still in use.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Tithe award for Southminster, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 305, Image 016 (subscription required)
- Accompanying map, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 305, Sub-Image 001 (subscription required).
- Waller, William Chapman, compil. 'Essex Field Names: Part III.—The Hundreds of Rochford, Dengie, and Thurstable', Transactions of the Essex Archæological Society, New Series, vol. VI (1898), pp. 258-77; see pp. 259, 273.
- 25" O.S. map Essex LXIII.7 (c. 1876; surveyed 1873). No copy in NLS.
- 25" O.S. map Essex LXIII.7 (1897; rev. 1895)
- 25" O.S. map Essex LXIII.7 (1897; rev. 1895) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Essex LXIII.3 (c. 1876; surveyed 1874). No copy in NLS.
- 25" O.S. map Essex n LXVI.14 (1922; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXIII (1880; surveyed 1873-74)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXIII.NE (1898; rev. 1895)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXIII.NE (1898; rev. 1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Essex nLXVI (1925; rev. 1920)
- Tithe award for SOuthminster, Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 305, Image 016; schedule (subscription required); Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 305, Sub-Image 001; map (subscription required).
- Blue Windfarm: Middlewick Wind Farm begins Commercial Operations.