Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Wood Ground (Arborfield)

Locality
Coordinates 51.38284, -0.909493
Adm. div. Berkshire
Vicinity Immediately W of Eversley Road (A327); immediately SE of Robin Hood's Coppice
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1841
Loading map...
Site of Robin Wood Ground, Arborfield
Loading map...
Approximate contours of Robin Wood Ground. Robin Hood's Coppice (roughly rectangular area) indicated more exactly.
This area on the west side of Eversley Road was known as Robin Wood Ground in the mid-19th century / Google Earth Street View

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-22.

"Robin Wood Ground" was the mid-19th century local name for an area in Arborfield lying immediately west of Eversley Road (A327), a thoroughfare which did not exist at the time.


The name is recorded in the tithe award for Arborfield (1841), where Robin Wood Ground is listed with Henry Simonds, Esq., as owner, Charles Goodechild as occupier, state of cultivation as "Arable", and with an area of 9 acres, 1 rood and 5 perches (37559.89 m2).[1] An adjacent area known as Robin Hood's Coppice already in 1839 is currently known as Robinhood Copse. In view of this there can be little doubt that, whether or not it originated as such, the name "Robin Wood ground" was regarded as referring to Robin Hood.[2]

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1839 tithe map for Arborfield parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 007, sub-image 001 (subscription required). (Robin Wood ground not labelled).
  • 1841 tithe award for Arborfield parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 007, image 012, Plot No. 286 (subscription required).

Printed and web sources

Maps

These maps show the area, but Robin Wood Ground is not indicated or labelled on them.

Also see

Notes

  1. 1841 tithe award for Arborfield parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 007, image 012, Plot No. 284 (subscription required).
  2. This is also implied in Gelling, Margaret. The Place-Names of Berkshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIX-LI) (Cambridge, 1973; [s.l.], 1974-76), pt. I, p. 124.

Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.