Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hoods (Winnersh) (2)

Locality
Coordinates 51.4325, -0.87416666666667
Adm. div. Berkshire
Vicinity E side of Robinhood Lane, S of Priory Court or Robin Hood Way , N of Danywern Drive, extending perhaps a little farther east than Annesley Gardens or Deerhurst Drive
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1841
Loading map...
A roughly rectangular area in Winnersh on the east side of Robinhood Lane, south of Priory Court or Robin Hood Way, north of Danywern Drive, extending perhaps a little farther east than Annesley Gardens or Deerhurst Drive, was one of two plots of land known as (the) "Robin Hoods".
Loading map...
The two Robin Hoods (approximate contours and sizes).
Looking NE from Robinhood Lane in Winnersh. These houses are located in one of the areas once known as the Robin Hoods / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-22.

Two plots of land, one – see Robin Hoods (Winnersh) (1) – on the west, the other one the east side of Robinhood Lane in Winnersh were known locally as the Robin Hoods in the mid-19th century.


The easternmost of these was a roughly rectangular area on the east side of Robinhood Lane, south of Priory Court or Robin Hood Way, north of Danywern Drive, extending perhaps a little farther east than Annesley Gardens or Deerhurst Drive. The tithe award for Hurst (1841) lists it as "Robin Hoods", the owner Robert Palmer, Esq., occupier William Peaple, state of cultivation "Arable", area 6 acres, 2 roods and 36 perches (27215.11 m2).[1] Since both areas are listed as "Robin Hoods" in the tithe award, we must assume that this was their collective name.

The plot immediately north of this easternmost "Robin Hood" was known as "May Piddle".[2] It is hardly possible to say whether the element "May" refers to the month or the plant, so any attempt to connect the "Robin Hoods" with May festivities in the area must remain pure speculation. For another speculative attempt to account for the Robin Hood place-names in this vicinity, see the page on Robinhood Lane (Winnersh).

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1840 tithe map for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, sub-image 001 (subscription required)
  • 1841 tithe award for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 048, Plot No. 1226 (subscription required).

Printed sources

Maps

These maps include the area in which the two Robin Hoods were located. The contours of the westernmost "Robin Hood", as shown on the MS tithe map, are clearly recognizable on them, those of the easternmost one less clearly so. Neither is labelled on the maps.

Background

  • 1841 tithe award for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 048, Plot No. 1227 (subscription required).
  • Wikipedia: Winnersh.

Also see

Notes

  1. 1841 tithe award for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 048, Plot No. 1226; 1840 tithe map for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, sub-image 001 (subscription required). Gelling, Margaret. The Place-Names of Berkshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIX-LI) (Cambridge, 1973; [s.l.], 1974-76), pt. I, p. 138.
  2. 1841 tithe award for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 048, Plot No. 1227.