Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hoods (Winnersh) (1)

Locality
Coordinates 51.432777777778, -0.87583333333333
Adm. div. Berkshire
Vicinity On W side of Robinhood Lane, S of Arbour Lane, E of Kelburne Close, N of Church Close
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1841
Loading map...
A roughly triangular area in Winnersh bounded approximately by Robinhood Lane to the east, the present Arbour Lane to the north, and present Church Close to the south was one of two plots of lands known as (the) "Robin Hoods".
Loading map...
The two Robin Hoods (approximate contours and sizes).
Looking NW from Robinhood Lane in Winnersh. These houses are located in one of the areas once known as the Robin Hoods / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-22.

Two plots of land, one on the west, the other one the east side of Robinhood Lane in Winnersh were known locally as the Robin Hoods in the mid-19th century.


The westernmost of these was a triangular area that is now roughly bounded by Robinhood Lane to the east, Arbour Lane to the north, and Church Close to the south. The tithe award for Hurst (1841) lists it as "Robin Hoods", the owner Thomas Garth, Esq., the occupier Aaron Lennon, state of cultivation "Arable", area 4 acres, 1 rood and 24 perches (17806.17 m2).[1] Since both areas are listed as "Robin Hoods" in the tithe award, we must assume that this was their collective name.


For discussion of the origin of these place-names, see the pages on Robin Hoods (Winnersh) (2) and Robinhood Lane (Winnersh).

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1840 tithe map for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, sub-image 001 (subscription required)
  • 1841 tithe award for Hurst parish, online at Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 033, Plot No. 1225 (subscription required)
  • Second schedule of 1841 tithe award for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 161, Plot No. 1225 (subscription required).

Printed sources

Maps

These maps include the area in which the two Robin Hoods were located. The contours of the westernmost "Robin Hood", as shown on the MS tithe map, are clearly recognizable on them, those of the easternmost one less clearly so. Neither is labelled on the maps.

Background

Also see

Notes

  1. Tithe award for Hurst parish (1841), online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 033, Plot No. 1225; 1840 tithe map for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, sub-image 001; second schedule of tithe award for Hurst parish, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, piece 02, sub-piece 076, image 161, Plot No. 1225 (subscription required). Gelling, Margaret. The Place-Names of Berkshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIX-LI) (Cambridge, 1973; [s.l.], 1974-76), pt. I, p. 138.