Robin Hood and Little John (Whaddon)
|Vicinity||On W side of Vicarage Road in Whaddon|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.
The long defunct 'Robin Hood and Little John' on the present Vicarage Road in Whaddon near Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, was in business by 1877. A trade directory entry shows that it still existed in 1903, and it is found on the earliest of the O.S. maps listed below, based on surveying and revision done no later than 1898, but by 1923 when the map again revised, the pub no longer existed. The maps suggest that all or part of the building had been demolished by then. If any of the two houses in the foreground in the photo below formed part of the pub, this would have been the one with the red car in front.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.11 (1881; surveyed 1880)
- 25" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.11 (1900; rev. 1898). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.11 (1925, rev. 1923)] (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.11 (1925; rev. 1923)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV (1885; surveyed 1880)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.SE (1900, rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.SE (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.SE (1926; rev. 1923)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XIV.SE (1952; rev. 1950).
- See UK Pub History: Robin Hood, Whaddon, Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, which provides a list of publicans for 1877-1903.