Robin Hood and Little John (North Kensington)
|Adm. div.||Middlesex, now Greater London|
|Vicinity||On Kensal Road|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood; Robinhood|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-01-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.
There was a pub known variously as the Robin Hood and the Robin Hood & Little John on Kensal Street, North Kensington, from at least 1847 to 1944. UK Pub History lists the house number as 33, but the sources available at The Genealogist suggest that during the time house numbers – rather than names of houses – have been used for purposes of identification, there have not been numbers as low as 33 on Kensal Street. The pub is listed in the 1851 census as "The Robinhood", with Giles Dickens as publican, under the house name Wards Cottage. Additional information on publicans gleaned from trade directories etc. from the period 1847–1944 can be found at UK Pub History (see Sources below).
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map London XXIII (1870; surveyed 1865)
- 25" O.S. map London IV.7 (1915; surveyed 1913)
- 25" O.S. map London IV.7 (1938; rev. 1935-36)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex XVI (1874; 1866)
- 6" O..S. map London VI.NE (1894-96; rev. 1891-94) (georeferenced)
- 6" O..S. map London VI.NE (1894-96; rev. 1891-94)
- 6" O..S. map London Sheet J (1920; rev. 1912-14).
- UK Pub History: Robin Hood & Little John, 33 Kensal Road, North Kensington W10; references to UK Pub History are to this page unless otherwise stated.
- The Genealogist: London 1851, Piece 01466, Image 00725 (subscription required).
- Also see the following pages at UK Pub History: Robin Hood & Little John, 33 Kensal Road, North Kensington W10; London (North) 1896 Suburban Publicans directory listing - R; London, UK 1904 Suburban Publicans directory listing - R; Kensington 1911 census summary - listing pubs, hotels and beer retailers; London, UK 1919 Suburban directory listing - R.; The London Public Houses in the 1938 Post Office Directory - R; The London Public Houses in the 1944 Post Office Directory - Ri.