Robin Hood and Little John (Ipswich)
|Vicinity||291 Woodbridge Road, Ipswich|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood & Little John|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-11-19. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
The Robin Hood & Little John on 291 Woodbridge Road was in existence by 1871 and at least as late as 1903.
Information on publicans and residents for the years 1871-1901 can be found at Pub Wiki. The Suffolk branch of the Campaign for Real Ale lists the pub as '[c]losed about 1926', noting that '[t]his was listed as a pub in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so evidently closed after 1923. It was not listed as a beer retailer in the 1932 Kelly's Directory, so closed before then'. No evidence is given for the approximate date 'about 1926'. While IRHB has not consulted the register of licensed houses in Ipswich 1903-23, it seems unlikely that it should include only pubs that were in business throughout those years. Surely any pub that had a license during part or all of the period would have been included. All that can be concluded is therefore that the pub still existed during (part or all of) 1903. The pub is not included in the 6" O.S. maps listed below. However, it is included (labelled 'P.H.') on the two earliest 25" maps, the latest of which was published in 1904, incorporating revisions made during 1902-1903. There is therefore no evidence that the pub existed later than 1903. However, the building(s) on the western corner of Woodbridge and Belvedere roads (291 A and B Woodbridge Road) still exist.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Pub Wiki: Robin Hood & Little John, 291 Woodbridge Road, Ipswich
- Suffolk Pubs (CAMRA): Ipswich Robin Hood & Little John.
- 25" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.12 (1884; surveyed 1880–81)
- 25" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.12 (1904; rev. 1902) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.12 (1904; rev. 1902–03)
- 25" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.12 (1927; rev. 1925)
- 6" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.SE (1884; surveyed 1882)
- 6" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.SE (1905; rev. 1902–03)
- 6" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.SE (1905; rev. 1902–1903) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.SE (1928; rev. 1924–25)
- 6" O.S. map Suffolk LXXV.SE (c. 1947; rev. 1938).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.