Robin Hood Wood (Ripon)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||Immediately W and SW of Borrage Green, S of River Skell in Ripon|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-05.
'Robin Hood Wood' was the name of a wooded area at the south-western perimeter of Borrage Green and along the south bank of the Skell immediately west of the green in Ripon, at the eastern side of Hell Wath Nature Reserve and the north-western end of the long-disused Whitcliffe Sand and Gravel Quarries.
The area is labelled 'Robin Hood Wood' on a 6" O.S. map published in 1856 (based on a survey carried out 1849 to 1853; see Maps below). The name is not found on more recent O.S. maps available on the web. Most of the trees would have been on the north-eastern side of the path that runs NNW from Red Bank Lane. When the 1856 map was prepared, the wood appears to have stretched a curving arm towards the south-west into the present Hell Wath Nature Reserve on the south-west side of the path, where two solitary trees now stand (as shown below on the Google satellite image). The part of Borrage Green lined by some of these trees was known as Robinhood Field.
Robin Hood Wood and Robinhood Field are located c. 4 km NE of Fountains Abbey, which in additions to the traditions connecting it with the Curtal Friar/Friar Tuck has a Robin Hood's Park and Well. Ripon is now administratively part of North Yorkshire.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 119 (1856; surveyed 1849-53)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.NW (1910; rev. 1907-1908) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.NW (1910; rev. 1907-1908)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.NW (1930; rev. 1928)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.NW (1947; rev. 1938)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.6 (1892; surveyed 1890-91)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.6 (1909; rev. 1908) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.6 (1909; rev. 1908)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CXIX.6 (1929; rev. 1928).