Robin Hood Wire Works
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||Wakefield Road (Clifton Road)|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2014-10-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.
Robin Hood Mill seems to have been established at Clifton Road or Wakefield Road by 1823. It was probably located on land that later came to be sandwiched in between Clifton Road and Wakefield Road, and hence either road could be cited as its address. From 1840 to 1907 if not later, the tenant was Ramsden, Camm & Company, manufacturers of telegraph wire, cables etc. Apparently the precincts were named Robin Hood Wire Works during their tenancy.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
The following papers among the "Muniments of Kirklees and the Armytage Family", at West Yorkshire Archive Service, Calderdale, refer to the Robin Hood Mill:
- Rentals, KM/A/980 (1823-42): "For Robin Hood Mill".
- Plan, KM/A/1384 (1870): ""Of Robin Hood and Little John Mill at Clifton".
- Tenancy agreement, plan and other papers, KM/A/1038 (1894-1916): ""Concerning Robin Hood Mill, Clifton".
- Plan, KM/A/1385 (19th century): "Of Robin Hood and Little John Mill, Clifton"
- Correspondence, KM/A/1045 (1907): "Concerning rent for a water pipe at Robin Hood Mill belonging to Ramsden Camm and Co".
- Turner, J. Horsfall. The History of Brighouse, Rastrick, and Hipperholme; with Manorial Notes on Coley, Lightcliffe, Northowram, Shelf, Fixby, Clifton and Kirklees (Bingley, Yorkshire, 1893), p. 203.
- See MS sources section below.
- See Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion: Mills & Mines R, and see MS sources section below.
- Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion: Mills & Mines R.