Robin Hood Statue (Nottingham Castle)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 52.950561, -1.153338
Adm. div. Nottinghamshire
Vicinity Nottingham Castle, Nottingham
Type Artifact
Interest Artifacts
Status Extant
First Record 1952
A.k.a. Robin Hood's Statue
Loading map...
The Robin Hood statue.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-04-13.

James Woodford's[1] full-length Robin Hood statue with its two complementary bronze plaques, on the Castle Green, was a gift to Nottingham City from Philip E. F. Clay, Esq., on the occasion of a royal visit to Nottingham on 28 June 1949.[2] The statuary was unveiled in 1952.[3]

The Robin Hood statue is one of two major works by Nottingham sculptor James Woodford that can be seen in the city. He began work on the sculture in 1950 or 1951. Cast in eight pieces of bronze, the sculpture stands on a two and a half ton block of white Clipsham stone. The stockily built archer was meant to be a realistic representation of a medieval Englishman but has often been criticized for not living up to (anachronistic) expectations inspired by portrayals of the outlaw in films. The arrow Robin Hood shoots was repeatedly stolen, and eventually it was decided to leave the statue 'arrowless'.[3]

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Background

Also see

Notes